Where is asbestos found?
It is not always easy to tell whether a product contains asbestos as modern asbestos-free materials often look similar – remember it is usually older products that contain asbestos. Common places where asbestos could be found include:
- Asbestos cement – cement roofs, wall cladding, downpipes and gutters, cement flues.
- Floor tiles, textiles and composites – textiles in fuse boxes, old fire blankets, heat resistant gloves. Composites can be toilet cisterns/seats and bath panels, window sills, bath panels.
- Textured and sprayed coatings
- Roofing felt
- Asbestos Insulating Board (AIB) – commonly used as fireproofing material and also partition walls, fireproofing panels in fire doors, lift shaft linings, ceiling tiles, soffits, panels below windows.
- Lagging and insulation – in or on heating systems such as round boilers, tanks or calorifiers and around pipework.
- Loose fill asbestos – in between cavity walls, under floorboards and in loft spaces.