Seven homes in the Basildon area were destroyed by fire on Monday 5th August.
These seven homes are on an estate built in the 1970s. The houses and flats were largely constructed with timber and contain asbestos within the structure.
The local council is working with the HSE on how to safely remove the asbestos.
Many homes contain asbestos which causes no problems if it is in good condition and undisturbed. However if it is damaged or disturbed through fire, general wear and tear or when alterations or repairs are carried out, dust and fibres are released into the atmosphere potentially causing serious lung diseases including mesothelioma and asbestosis if inhaled. The symptoms of these conditions can take 20 – 40 years to develop.