Mr Q, School Teacher

Posted: 10th Apr 17 1:33 PM

Mr Q was diagnosed with mesothelioma in March 2012. He approached the National Asbestos Helpline for assistance. Our solicitors became involved in 2012.

Mr Q had been a school teacher throughout his career. He taught woodwork and metalwork and over the years he worked in number of schools. He was exposed to asbestos from a hearth that was used for heating products in his metal work classes. The inside of the cabinet which formed part of the double brazing hearth was insulated with asbestos. From time to time Mr Q would brush the inside of the cabinet to clean it, and when he was doing this he released asbestos dust which he breathed in. A claim was pursed against the relevant education authority and a settlement was achieved in 2012 for £215,000 during Mr Q’s lifetime.

We are very pleased that our solicitors were able to achieve a settlement in this case within 6 months.